Chicken and rice porridge (dakjuk)
How to make Korean-style chicken and rice porridge. The full recipe is here: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dakjuk
Yield: 8-10 servings
Cooking time: 2 hours
A whole chicken (about 3 pounds), 1 ½ cups of garlic cloves, 1 ½ cups of rice, 2 eggs, 3 green onions, salt, water.
For 2 kinds of dipping sauce:
Salt and pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, hot pepper flakes, green onion, sesame seeds, sugar.
1. Soak 1½ cups of rice in cold water for 1 hour.
*tip: if you like thinner soup style, use 1 cup of rice; if you like thicker porridge style, use 1½ cups rice
2. Wash and drain the whole chicken.
3. Trim the fat from the chicken's stomach area with scissors; cut off the tip of bum part. : )
4. Place the chicken in a large pot and add 12-13 cups of water.
5. Add 1½ cups of garlic cloves and bring to a boil over high heat for about 40 minutes.
6. Turn down the heat to low-medium and cook 20 more minutes.
7. Rinse and drain the rice, and add to the boiling chicken porridge.
8. Remove any fat floating on top of the soup with a spoon or ladle.
9. Keep boiling with the lid closed for another 30 minutes.
*tip: lower the heat if it boils over
10. Chop 3 stalks of green onion and beat 2 eggs and set aside.
11. Check if the chicken is cooked tender or not by poking the meat with a fork or chopsticks. It's usually tender after 1½ hour of cooking, but if it's not tender enough, cook a little longer.
12. Add 1 tbs salt to the soup and mix it with your spoon. The amount of salt depends on your taste, so use more or less as you like.
Ok, now time to serve!
Take the chicken out of the pot, transfer to a large plate, and put it on the table to serve.
Make 2 kinds of dipping sauce:
1. Mix 1 tbs salt and ¼ ts black ground pepper in a small bowl
2. Mix these ingredients in a bowl (this is my father's favorite dipping sauce whenever he had this dish): 2 tbs soy sauce, 1 tbs vinegar, 1 tbs chopped green onion, 1 ts sugar, 1 ts roasted sesame seeds, and 1 ts hot pepper flakes.
Now back to the chicken soup!
1. Add the chopped green onions (from #10).
2. Add the beaten eggs. Pour them in and wait for 10 seconds before stirring, to let them cook.
Your chicken porridge is ready! Turn the heat off and serve.